Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Running on Empty?

I have accomplished a few things today.  I was a mom, as usual, I worked, and kept positive and felt happy and productive.  And then I came home, and was a mom again, and I danced with my kids, and I snuggled them and blew dry my daughter's hair after her bath and blew warm air up her pajama top and enjoyed her laughter.  I put them to bed, got on my gym clothes and put the laptop on the treadmill.  I watched "Revenge of the Bridesmaids"(cheesy goodness) on hulu.com and logged two and a half miles. I promised I would write every day, so here I am, writing.

I feel thick with the heaviness of not being able to accomplish it all, but have to realize how much I did do in this one day, and how the small steps that I took are leading me in the right direction.  I often feel like I am running on empty.  Not enough hours in the day, not enough time to get things done on the "To Do" list.  It is when I feel this way that I need to stop and remind myself that I am not running on empty but on the treadmill of life, and that I am constantly strapping on different shoes, sneakers, hats, and other things to put myself into the role required to accomplish what needs to get done for the day.  And if I don't have time for something, like learning French, or plugging numbers into the family budget spreadsheet, that it means there was time leftover to dance with my children and revel in the small moments.  That is not running on empty, that is plainly, simply, enjoying the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment